These traditionally involve experts passing on the knowledge or theory underpinning the application of skills. This is usually done in a supportive group environment away from the workplace, allowing leeway to experiment and learning from mistakes.
Getting best value
Your line manager should:
- Confirm your development needs are best met by a training course
- Check that the content is appropriate
- Brief you prior to attendance
- Provide opportunities for you to apply your new knowledge subsequently
- Take steps to embed your learning at your workplace