These are online forums through which people with common interests can interact in order to share ideas, knowledge and good practice, and learn from the experiences of others, often aiding their own professional development in the process. They typically entail the creation of a library of relevant information accessible by members, and provide a supportive group environment distinct from the workplace. The key benefits of participation include faster problem-solving, by reducing the duplication of effort, and access to new ideas and approaches. Links to collaborative networks for local regulators can be found in the module Using and Managing Knowledge Effectively. You can join existing communities or set up one of your own.
Getting best value
- Join (or form) forums that are directly relevant
- Be open-minded and take an active role
- Allocate time for participation on a regular basis
- Help to keep discussions focused on the issues that matter
- Avoid criticism of other members